Fat Loss Vs Weight Loss: Which is important for you?
Weight loss is one of the leading topics. Everyone is trying to lose weight nowadays. But what’s the dissimilarity between weight loss & fat loss? People use both terms reciprocally.
After reading this post you will understand that Fat Loss and Weight Loss: the Big Difference
Weight Loss vs Fat Loss
What’s the dissimilarity? Let’s start by describing weight loss & fat loss.
- Weight Loss- In this process, you reduce your body-weight, the total weight of your bones, muscles, organs, body fat
- Fat Loss- In this process, your body fat, the quantity of fat your body carries, gets reduced. Fit goals are 10% body fat for men and 15% for women.
Difficulties with Weight Loss – If you want to lose weight, it’s most because you bear too much fat. There are people who must lose weight, like sports person before a competition, but most of us want to lose fat. So stop measuring yourself every day and think how can you burn your calories.
- Unreliable- Your body-weight can vary daily since it is affected by your stomach content, water loss/retention, muscle loss/gain, fat loss/gain.
- Irrelevant- 2 people with same height can weigh the same, but look different because one has lower body fat than the other.
Here’s how the Weight scale can cheat you- Clothes, mirrors & pictures don’t lie. Nor do the fat calculator. But the weight scale can become your enemy by confusing you and killing your motivation.
- Muscle Gains & Fat Loss- You will develop muscle while losing fat when you get into tough training. But on the weight scale, it will look like you’re not making any improvement your body-weight remains the same. Record your body fat using a fat calliper and you will see your body fat is losing.
How to Make Sure You Lose Fat, Not Muscle?
This means you’ll look slimmer at the same body-weight by developing muscle.
Keys to losing fat, not muscle:
- Get Stronger- Tough training develops muscle & prevents muscle loss. It also helps to fix your diet.
- Eat Healthy- Eat whole unrefined foods 90% of the time and eat less starchy food.
You can go to a cardiologist to get a quick fat loss. But without rigorous training, cardio will cause muscle loss and you will end up becoming skinny-fat.
How to Track Progress Efficiently– You don’t need to record improvement weekly, changes would not be extreme enough. All that you need to do is to record your progress in every 2 weeks.
- Stop Weighing Yourself Daily- The daily variations will confuse your motivation. Weigh yourself once every 2 weeks.
- Stop Looking in The Mirror- Self-image issues can misrepresent understanding. Click full body pictures and compare them with old ones.
- Take Measurements- Take measurements of your neck, chest, arms, abdomen& thighs. The Waist should go down, rest should go up.
- Strength Stats- Strength going up means muscle gains and rigorous training prohibits muscle breakdown.
Listen also to what people say. They will notice your body difference more than you will. Clothes on you will start to feel different as well.
Focus on fat loss first. Once you have lost your fat, check if you like what you see. Then decide if you still need to lose weight or not.